Serten Charitable Efforts and Support
Serten Advisors was formed with a guiding principal of contributing to our communities. Each year, Serten Advisors sets aside five percent of its net income for charitable contributions made by the firm as well as the individual team members. As a firm, we not only support a multitude of charitable organizations, but we also promote and encourage individuals to develop and foster leadership roles within charitable organizations that affect their lives.
We strongly believe that each of us has a moral responsibility to improve the places in which we live, work and play.
Serten encourages its team members to take active leadership roles in their communities. Through company and individual support, we have helped our friends raise funds and awareness for organizations from coast to coast. Our commitment to community service recognizes that real change does not begin and end with writing a check, thus we encourage every member of the Serten family to actively cultivate their own community involvement efforts.
Serten Advisors supports a number of local and national organizations through volunteer and fundraising efforts. A few of these charitable organizations include:
- Lollipop Kids Foundation
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Spinal Research Foundation
- Best Buddies
- Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Jewish Federation of Greater Washington
- Rock and Roll for Children
- Jewish Social Services Association
- Jubilee Support Alliance
- Bread for the City
- Adoptions Together
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Komen Race for the Cure
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Higher Achievement
- ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer
- Autism Speaks
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation
- Friends of Lombardi
- Central Union Mission
Some of Our Team’s Recent Initiatives
Lollipop Kids Foundation – Volunteer Day 2016
Lollipop Kids Foundation (“LKF”) is an organization that exists to combat social stigmas, ease the financial burden placed on families, offer emotional support, and provide a brief respite for children with disabilities and their families. LKF offers multiple programs and resources, including: the “Equipment Closet”, which matches donated durable medical equipment such as lifting devices, specialized wheelchairs, gait trainers, adapted standing devices, prone boards, adapted seating systems, adapted bicycles, and portable ramps with children that need them and may not otherwise be able to afford them; Support and Play groups; and group outings. In addition to their more organized programs, LKF has less formal activities such as allowing families to use their equipment for physical therapy sessions and have bi-monthly haircuts in a low-sensory environment for those children who many not be able to handle a tradition environment.
Serten Advisors’ participation was to help pick up and deliver donated durable medical equipment and work with staff to reorganize their storage facility. In a single day, Serten was able to help collect over $200,000 worth of equipment which will help numerous children and their families in countless ways.
Capital Area Food Bank – Volunteer Day 2014
The Serten Advisors team participated in a day of volunteering at the Capital Area Food Bank. The Capital Area Food Bank aims to feed those who suffer from hunger in the Washington metro area by acquiring food and distributing it through its network of partner agencies; and educating, empowering and enlightening the community about the issues of hunger and nutrition.
Serten Advisors is proud to be able to take part in the Washington, D.C.-based organization’s efforts to solve hunger by coming together. Here are some statistics about CAFB’s community impact:
- Annually distributes 42 million pounds of food, equivalent to 35 million meals
- Of which, 17 million pounds are fresh fruit and vegetables
- Serves over 500,000 people in the region struggling with hunger
- Spends 92 cents of each dollar raised for food distribution, transportation and programs
Spinal Research Foundation – We’ve Got Your Back Race 2015
On October 1, 2016, Serten Advisors presented SRF with a donation to support the organization’s annual We’ve Got Your Back Race for Spinal Health in the Washington, DC metro area. All proceeds from the We’ve Got Your Back national race series benefit the Spinal Research Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to improving spinal health and patient outcomes through research, education, and advocacy.
Here’s a little more detailed information about SRF’s impact:
- Over the past 13 years, SRF has dedicated over 50,000 hours to research for the purpose of driving innovation and proving the effectiveness of surgical and non-surgical treatments
- Built a national network of distinguished partners, consisting of the national’s leading spine, orthopedic, and research practices
- Empowers patients to take an active role in their healthcare, serves as a link between patients and the nation’s leading spine experts to drive unique patient support initiatives
Best Buddies Maryland – Friendship Walk 2016
Serten Advisors participated in the Best Buddies Maryland Friendship Walk on May 7, 2016. Serten Advisors and their families all participated in the event along with friends and clients and University of Maryland Football Head Coach D.J. Durkin. In 2016 alone, more than 750 walkers came out to College Park, Maryland and raised more than $125,000. Adam Schindler, in addition to leading the Serten team, is serving as the 2017 Friendship Walk Chair.
Friendship Walk participants walk for inclusion, friendship, leadership, and opportunity for people with and without Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD). Proceeds from the walk play a fundamental part in funding Best Buddies state programs which provide one-to-one friendships, leadership development and integrated job opportunities for individuals with IDD.
Here is more information about Best Buddies’ national influence:
- Since 2009, more than 55,000 participants have walked in Best Buddies Friendship Walks in over 26 states and 3 countries, and raised over 5 million dollars for the organization
- Eight programs positively impact nearly 800,000 individuals with and without disabilities worldwide
- Best Buddies created the 2020 Initiative in 2011, with the goal of opening offices in all 50 states, expanding into 100 countries, and impacting 3 million people with and without IDD worldwide by the end of 2020
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center – Annual Black Tie Gala and the Men’s Event for Prostate Cancer
Serten Advisors Managing Principal Paul Schweitzer has been involved with the annual Lombardi Gala for over 25 years as a member and co-chair of the corporate executive committee. The 2016 Gala this past October was the seventh consecutive year in which he has served as an event Co-Chair. Paul has also served as a member of The Friends of Lombardi at Georgetown University Hospital Board. In 2005, the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center honored Paul with the prestigious Margaret Hodges Leadership Award for his lifelong contributions to the organization. Serten Advisors is also involved in the center’s Men’s Event to support prostate cancer research.
The Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center internationally-renowned physicians treat virtually every type of cancer, including breast, lung, colorectal, prostate, head and neck, and cancers of the blood. The proceeds from the 30th Annual Lombardi Gala and 17th Annual Men’s Event went directly to Georgetown Lombardi to support cancer research, treatment, and education. Here are a few statics about the center:
- Est. in 1970, the center has grown into a state-of-the-art facility housing more than 250,000 square feet of clinic and research space
- One of 47 comprehensive cancer centers in the nation designated by the National Cancer Institute, and the only one in the Washington, D.C. area
- Last year, the two events helped raise $250,000 to advance treatment, laboratory research, and awareness.